A place to play...
Engage with community...
Make great things...
Learn about games...
About The Arcade Vaults
We are The Arcade Vaults, an exciting and unique venue and community in the centre of Cardiff for all things videogaming. If you make games, play games both old and new, want to learn about games, or would just like to engage with the community in this amazing world of games, then this is the place for you.
At the heart of The Arcade Vaults and its community is you; the players and the creators. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to play videogames and even more so, anyone should be able to make them and understand how they are made.
Christmas Period Opening Hours
Christmas is coming, and with it we're rejigging some opening hours, including a short break for some much needed maintenance work in January. If you have a booking with us during any of these days it will be *unaffected*!
- Monday 23rd: OPEN 12am - 5pm
- Tuesday 24th: CLOSED
- Wednesday 25th: CLOSED (Its Christmas!)
- Thursday 26th: CLOSED
- Friday 27th: CLOSED
- Saturday 28th: OPEN 12am - 5pm (TBC)
- Sunday 29th: CLOSED
- Monday 30th: OPEN 12am - 5pm
- Tuesday 31st: CLOSED
- Wednesday 1st: CLOSED
- Thursday 2nd: OPEN 12am - 9pm
- Friday 3rd: OPEN 12am - 9pm
- Saturday 4th: OPEN 10am - 10pm
- Sunday 5th - Tuesday 14th: CLOSED FOR MAINTENANCE
**** BOOKINGS AND HIRES WILL NOT BE AFFECTED BY CLOSURES ****
The Stuff We do
- Our arcade is split into two areas - we have a space featuring classic consoles and hundreds of games, with a small free-to-play area where we also serve coffee, tea, drinks and gamer friendly snacks. We are also open on selected evenings for those that like a stronger beverage with their gaming fun!
- We have a dedicated co-working space for anyone interested in making games or being part of a community who do. There are three pricing tiers available to anyone who wants to use the space, with high-speed broadband (wired and wireless), tea and coffee, and a kitchen, plus various tech facilities and business support!
- Our upstairs space is a flexible area available for hire. We can run events for you with a wide selection of retro and modern gaming consoles, or just provide the space on its own to you, with access to our bar and free-to-play area.
Maximum Melee - Autumn LeagueThu | 24 October 2019 | 18:00 to Thu | 12 December 2019 | 21:00Thu | 24 October 2019 | 18:00 to Thu | 12 December 2019 | 21:00
to £3, of which £1 goes to the autumn league prize pool and £2 goes to the weekly one.
How it works:
- The top 6 players weekly get 10, 8, 6, 4, 3, or 2 points depending on where they finish.
- A minimum of 4 weeks of participation in weeklies will be needed to be part of the league.
- The league prize pool will be split for top 3 players 60/30/10.
- We will be adding a minimum of £50 extra to the league prize pot!
- And, there will be a trophy :)
Stream will available at https://twitch.tv/thearcadevaults
The Big Phat Quizbit of the YearSat | 14 December 2019 | 19:00 to 21:00Sat | 14 December 2019 | 19:00 to 21:00
Its Quizbit, but bigger and phatter! For £2 entry per person we've got the hugest of quizzes to finish off the year in style. With some glorious Christmas prizes in store for you and your winning team, whats the reason not to come?
Street Fighter II - Last One StandingFri | 20 December 2019 | 17:30 to 21:00Fri | 20 December 2019 | 17:30 to 21:00
Its the return of our Street Fighter II: Turbo - Last One Standing tournament!
Everyone gets 3 lives and is randomly drawn against other competitors. Lose a game, lose a life, and the last person left with all their lives wins! Entry is £3 for the venue, and £2 for the tournament which goes towards a cash prize!
Charity Mario Kart TournamentSat | 21 December 2019 | 17:30 to 21:00Sat | 21 December 2019 | 17:30 to 21:00
Its our last Mario Kart 8 Deluxe tournament for charity for the year and as its Christmas and times are still tough for many, we will be giving back to the Cardiff Foodbank once again!
Please bring one item from the ‘most needed food items’ list for entry into the tournament. When considering potential future donations to Cardiff Food Bank make sure to check the website https://cardiff.foodbank.org.uk/give-help/donate-food/ to check what is most needed.
- LONG LIFE FRUIT JUICE
- UHT MILK
- INSTANT COFFEE
- SPONGE PUDDINGS
- TINNED POTATOES
Please do not bring food items from the 'plenty of' list as the Food Bank will likely turn them away. Try and coordinate with your friends to bring as large a variety of the list as possible!
- BREAKFAST CEREALS
The venue fee will be £3 and the winner of the tournament gets 1 month's membership to the Arcade for FREE!
Global Game Jam 2020Fri | 31 January 2020 | 16:00 to Sun | 2 February 2020 | 18:00Fri | 31 January 2020 | 16:00 to Sun | 2 February 2020 | 18:00
Are you a creative games designer, artist, programmer or audio designer up for a challenge? If so, come and be part of the Global Game Jam. You will have the weekend to conceive and build a game based on a global theme!
Doors will be open from 4pm on Friday evening for everyone to meet. The themes will be announced by Global Game Jam so that the fun can begin and ending at 5pm on Sunday. Games will need to be submitted to the Global Game Jam website on Sunday before the 3pm deadline. Teams will then have the opportunity to present their game to everyone.
Why the charge?
We do have to cover our staffing and running costs for the weekend. However, the ticket price grants access to Levels 2 and 3 of The Arcade Vaults and includes free teas and coffees, plus access to a kitchenette with a fridge and microwave. There will also be a lot of pizza available to all on the Friday night! We're located right in the City Centre so you will have access to plenty of other food options for the entire weekend.
We will ask jammers to register and join the GGJ site separately on the day - purchasing a ticket will register your details with us so we know you are attending.
Note that this will not be a 24 hour site - access will be limited to 8/9am at the earliest and around 10/11pm at the latest. If you are coming in from outside of Cardiff there are lots of places to stay nearby.